POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Patches for arbitrary topology shapes - 4 attachments : Re: Patches for arbitrary topology shapes - 4 attachments - 2 attachments Server Time
4 May 2024 19:12:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Patches for arbitrary topology shapes - 4 attachments - 2 attachments
From: Rune
Date: 7 Jan 2004 09:26:55
Message: <3ffc172f$1@news.povray.org>
Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
> But I now have a growing suspicion that it may not
> be possible use bicubic Bezier patches to make such
> a surface (that is completely smooth).

I strongly suspect that too.

This thread supports the suspicion:
http://news.povray.org/povray.general/3084/

That's why I was at one point so interested in bicubic patches with 3, 5
and 6 edges, which is another approach to solving the topology problem.
The promising result can be seen here:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.animations/26690/

My ultimate goal was quite similar to yours: To be able to define a list
of points and a list of patches with corners in those points. Only
difference was that exactly four patches had to meet in a point, but
then the patches could have 3, 4, 5 or 6 edges. I abandoned it though -
the triangular bicubic patch was coded by Micha Riser and improved by
me. However, Micha Riser never coded similar patches for 5 and 6 edges,
and I didn't understand the scientific papers on which the special
bicubic patches were based, so I couldn't do it myself.

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com **updated Dec 30**